Friday, May 2, 2008

Introductions

Hello to anyone reading this. I'll be posting under the name Counterpower, a name I use in all sorts of places whenever I need a pseudonym. I figured that I'd start my blog with a little introduction about who I am and what I think about the world.

First of all, I'm still a student. I'll be going to college for the first time around the end of August 2008. I am definitely looking forward to the changes I'll be experiencing, starting out in college and learning more about the world. I can actually be eager about schoolwork, although the last few days of high school have pretty much destroyed my usual enthusiasm.

When I have free time, I usually unwind with video games, computer games, etc. Hence the title of the blog. Although, I also enjoy reading science fiction, fantasy, adventure, and similar fare. And not all of my games are electronic; I also enjoy pencil-and-paper roleplaying games. That is to say, Dungeons and Dragons. Finally, I watch some TV, although I'm sure it's much less than the norm for my generation. I definitely prefer using my TV for videogames. When I do watch TV, it's for cartoons or the Discovery Channel. I also have a few DVDs, almost all of which are anime. However, my lesiure time activities will get a lot more attention later.

I am solidly liberal, and when I actually do turn 18 I'll definitely be a Democrat. Fair warning to anyone who doesn't want to read a liberal's opinion. Although, I'd like to believe that my political leanings will be irrelevant to the things I'll be talking about.

And on that note: what I'm generally going to make this blog about. Quick note, though: I don't plan on holding to a schedule or entirely devoting myself to one topic. I plan on trying to get something new every month, and I'll see if that needs to change. Neither is every post going to be in the same general category; although I do have a focus, I'll gladly comment on anything that I particularly want to write about.

Caveats aside, now I'll really get to my focus. Basically, this is how I feel: video games, computer games, anime, any form of contemporary entertainment, really, gets the short end of the stick in the world at large. Video games are denounced as a waste of time and effort, especially. I've heard this opinion from more than one teacher or adult, that games are nothing but juvenile entertainment. If one believed all of the hype from some groups, one would never watch TV again for fear of being irrevocably poisoned. The movies, TV shows, games, and books that are being produced today inspire violence, witchcraft, escapism, and sloth. How is the world going to survive the relentless tide of younger people growing up under these influences?

Well, I won't deny that video games are entertainment, and I certainly won't deny that they've had an influence on people. What I question is just how bad that influence is. Will all of my forms of entertainment really destroy me? I highly doubt it. In fact, I firmly believe that I've developed a little with Mario and Pikachu. While video games, computer games, (most) TV and movies, certainly are entertainment, that doesn't mean that I can't learn something from them anyway. That's what I plan on exploring in this blog: what lessons have been learned from or reinforced by my chosen forms of entertainment? I've had more than enough of talking about theme, meaning, and all of the like in English class, but what happens when I turn those analytical techniques to movies, TV shows, or video games?

I've already given it some thought, so I know where I'm going to start. My next article will address a ten-year phenomenon, in the words of Wikipedia "the second most successful and lucrative video game-based media franchise in the world": Pokémon!

1 comment:

Renegade Paladin said...

You know, the irony here is that political liberals are those who work the hardest to ban and restrict video games. :p